Top Five Hairstyles Ever: Brigitte Bardot
After appearing in more than forty motion pictures and recording several music albums, including duets with former lover and French pop sensation Serge Gainsbourg, Brigitte Bardot is at number two in Jayne Dempsey‘s retro hair top five.
The Parisian model/actress/singer began her career in 1952 and is considered one of the most famous sex symbols of all time. In the sixties, her luscious lips, stunning figure and big, beautiful hair saw Bardot catch the attention of every man and woman of the era. Now into her seventies, Bardot retired from the media world in 1973 to focus on her animal rights activism but the image of her as one of the world’s most beautiful women lives on, and even in 2012 she is still an inspiration to us all.
Today, singers such as the late Amy Winehouse, Duffy and Adele all take their hair inspiration from Bardot. You think of Bardot, you think of volume… and lots of it! This look is here to stay and is bang on trend this season, emphasizing controlled volume with a luxurious finish. Hair this big looks sexy, expensive and beams with shine. If you want to create your own “Bardot-do” then here’s how…
1. Pre shampoo and condition the hair in Regis Designline Enchanted range as this will give the ultimate base to start your look with.
2. Apply Regis Designline Get Pumped volume foam to the hair before drying. This will add volume and support to your look and will help maintain it for hour after hour. Once applied, begin to blow-dry using a round brush to give lift, body and bounce to the hair. Complete this by taking 2-inch deep sections from the nape of the head finishing your last section to blow-dry at the hair line.
3. Once complete, it’s time to curl the hair. You can either use heated rollers, ghd irons, a curling wand, or leave it natural after blow-drying. After curling, brush the curls out using a soft brush to create a more natural looking curl.
4. From that point begin to section the hair into a semi-circle shape and section from the temples to the crown area of the head. Starting from the crown, begin to lightly back-comb the hair taking small 1-inch sections to allow control and method to the style. Work your way forward until you reach about 1-inch before the hairline (fringe area) This gets left out, creating softness around the face.
5. Now the hair is back-combed (don’t worry if it looks messy) smoothen any flyways down with a soft brush and begin to shape your style into place. Once your happy with the height and width carefully pin into place using pins to match your hair colour. Fix into place just below the crown in the centre. Hold the style with Regis Designline Volumising Hairspray and there you have it! Your very own Brigitte.
This is a classic look and will be around for many years to come. You can always adjust the curls, height and amount of backcombing depending on your desired style. Sixties fashion is huge for 2012 and we at Regis predict this look will be a massive hit. So go on girls, give the Bardot-do a go and see what you think…….
Why not have a look at our How to create a Beehive Hairstyle tutorial, where Chris Tilley, stylist at our Trafford Centre salon and a member of our Artistic Team, will guide you through it. Alternatively, you could always pop down to you local Regis Salon and have our stylist work their magic for that ultra-professional look.