Tips & Advice
Wimbledon Style Icons
With the Wimbledon 2015 Championships in full swing, this year’s tournament has already had it’s fair share of surprises, not least the shock exit of former champion Nadal in the second round.
Naturally, we’re firmly backing Andy Murray to go the distance a second time and we’d love to see Heather Watson achieve great things for the girls. We’re by no means experts when it comes to rankings and predicting odds, but we’ve decided to do our own round-up of the most stylish players both on and off the court…
1. Roger Federer: No list of stylish sportsmen is complete without Federer. As someone who counts Anna Wintour among his friends, it’s no surprise fashion is one of his passions away from tennis. We’re a big fan of his headbands that ensure all that lovely hair stays out of the way during play while off court, he favours a more well-groomed style. For hair like Roger’s, it’s all about maintaining that thickness so densifying haircare like the American Crew Hair Recovery and Thickening Shampoo is key.
2. Maria Sharapova: Maria is another trend-setting player, having designed her own collection of sportswear for Nike. We love her simplistic look for on-court: a super-sleek high ponytail means she doesn’t have to worry about distracting flyaways! Unsurprisingly, she glams up well too, opting for relaxed yet sophisticated styles for evening. Emulate her effortless curls from the +WTA Pre-Wimbledon Party by misting dry locks with a heat protection spray before using the ghd Curve Soft Curl Tong to curl 6-8 inch sections of hair. Brush through to soften the curls and seal into place with a spritz of high shine spray like Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray.
3. Rafael Nadal: He may be out of Wimbledon, but his impeccable sense of style makes him a winner in our eyes. Favouring the headbands à la Federer on court, Nadal always scrubs up well come evening. A lightweight, medium hold styling product like American Crew Grooming Cream applied to towel-dried hair should help recreate his slick but reworkable look.
4. Serena Williams: When it comes to expressing individuality, Serena Williams, is the queen of the courts. She can always be counted on to add vibrancy to any match, from statement earrings to brightly coloured hair accessories, she never disappoints. With Wimbledon’s strict white-only dress code, her style at SW19 is slightly more demure but she still makes her mark with sky-high ponytails and an abundance of voluptuous tresses. By evening, she is just as experimental but right now she seems to be favouring a natural, effortless vibe – a hot trend for spring/summer 2015. Keeping hair well-hydrated is imperative to rocking this look: we recommend the Mizani Supreme Oil Moisturising Mask for intense nourishment.
5. Andy Murray: Our man of the moment has begun to develop his own signature on-court style in recent years. Unlike Federer and Nadal, Andy likes to keep his hair firmly out of the way when he’s playing, hiding it under a classic baseball cap. He makes sure his natural curls in check off-court by keeping his cut fairly short – a styling product with plenty of control like Fudge Hair Shaper should help tame more unruly strands.
6. Caroline Wozniacki: With her long blonde locks and model looks, it’s no surprise Caroline Wozniacki’s style choices attract almost as much attention as her game. We love the mid-pony braid she sported at Wimbledon last year. It’s so easy to recreate – simply plait the ends of your ponytail and secure with a hair tie, leaving about 1-2 inches free at the end. This is a great gym style if you worry about the ends of your ponytail getting a bit frizzy! Off court, she likes to mix up her look, wearing both luscious curls and poker-straight styles to perfection. We love the glamorous blow dry she chose for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue celebration back in February. If you want a similarly elegant finish, book an appointment at your local Regis salon and ask your stylist for our Glossy Curls blow dry.
Photos, from top to bottom: Roger Federer: Hasenkopf/REX (L), REX (R); Maria Sharapova: Nils Jorgensen/REX (L), Ray Tang/REX (R); Rafael Nadal: Hasenkopf/REX (L), David Fisher/REX (R); Serena Williams: Nils Jorgensen/REX (L), Han Yan/SIPA/REX (R); Andy Murray: Mark Pain/REX (L), Beretta/Sims/REX (R); Caroline Wozniacki: Erik Pendzich/REX (L), REX (R).